Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Painting Architecture




”VINTAGE SQUARE HOUSE NO. 1” by Kim VanDerHoek.

8X10 inch Oil Painting on canvas board.
$65 (shipping within the U.S. $11 - Canada $20)

I've been painting more architecture lately and this painting kicked off a newfound interest. When I saw this little house, I was intimidated but reminded myself to go slowly. The key with any complicated subject is to break it down into parts and not worry about the whole thing until much later in the process. The hard part is not overworking everything and knowing when to stop.

This was painted on location (en Plein Air) Summer 2007 on archival quality artist’s canvas board using Windsor & Newton oil paints. I’ve been debating about whether or not to enter this painting in some upcoming competitions. It’s one of my favorites. While in the middle of painting this several groups of WWII aircraft flew overhead – it was really spectacular! This little house has loads of charm. Imagine sitting under the olive tree with a glass of wine….. I hope you enjoy it!

To purchase this painting and see more of my work log onto www.vanderhoekart.etsy.com

2 comments:

luvmygummi said...

I think you should enter this painting in shows. I like the subject, and the composition is well done. I especially like the color palate that you chose. It makes my eyes happy when I look at it!

VanDerHoekArt said...

Wow thanks so much! My husband isn't as in love with this one as much as I am which is why I was having second thoughts. I have to keep reminding myself to go with my instincts because they are usually pretty good. I really appreciate the compliment!