Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Crimson Boat



”CRIMSON BOAT” by Kim VanDerHoek.

4 X 6 inch Oil Painting on canvas board.
$45 (Shipping $11 within the U.S., $20 for Canada or $28 for everywhere else)

This red boat was an exercise in speed and composition. When I arrived at the beach and began unpacking my gear all the colors were muted because of the overcast sky. I knew that might change over the course of the day so I decided to work small. I wanted to finish several paintings as the clouds burned off and the light changed.

I could have focused solely on the boat but I wanted to experiment with my composition. I liked how the vertical lined of the pier posts contrasted with the horizontal line of the boat. Heavy brush strokes and thick paint helped me add spice to this little one.

To purchase this painting and see more of my work log onto www.vanderhoekart.etsy.com

3 comments:

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Kim this turned out very nice. I really like the vertical line. Your paint is juicy and fresh. The red boat sings.

whimsicalpam said...

I'm not sure which I like more, the Crimson Boat or Skylight. Both are beautiful!

VanDerHoekArt said...

Thanks Pam!

I hope you are enjoying the print.

And thank you for adding a link to my blog on your blog. I appreciate the promotion!