Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dorothy Peaks



”DOROTHY PEAKS” by Kim VanDerHoek.

8 X 10 inch Oil Painting on canvas board.
$240 (Shipping $12 within the U.S., $20 for Canada or $28 for everywhere else)

Painted on my week-long High Sierra backpacking trip to Lake Mildred with my husband.

After hiking for a couple of hours on a day-hike up to Lake Dorothy I had a few hours to paint while my husband went off exploring. It was a tough choice between painting the mountains or the lake (I couldn’t manage to fit both in). I figured I had better practice painting the mountains since I rarely get to see ones as majestic as these.

The air up at altitudes over 10,000 feet is very clear and distances look much closer than they really are. It’s a challenge to visually push the mountains back and create depth when in reality everything looks so close and so clear. I hope I was able to do these peaks some justice!

Maybe next year I’ll paint the lake.

To purchase this painting and see more of my work log onto www.vanderhoekart.etsy.com

3 comments:

TheresaJ said...

You call this practice? I call this amazing! Really nice job. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation.

- Theresa

indiaartist said...

I am happy to have discovered your blog. I don't much work in plein-air but admire it. Great work here.

TheresaJ said...

Hey Kim -- glad you enjoyed my last post. If you're ever up this way, we'll have to plan a little visit. Just the thought of you painting some SF scenes makes me giddy! And BTW, my back is back to normal. Thanks for the well wishes too.
- Theresa