Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Afternoon at Bright Dot



”AFTERNOON AT BRIGHT DOT” by Kim VanDerHoek.

6 X 8 inch Oil Painting on canvas board.
$275 (Shipping $12 within the U.S., $20 for Canada or $28 for everywhere else)

Here’s another painting from the High Sierra backpacking trip.

After carrying over 42 pounds up the trail for 5 hours and setting up our camp we decided that the next day we should hike up to Bright Dot Lake. It’s a small lake and it takes about 3 hours to get there with a light pack.

My husband fished while I painted. Because I was very tired and our time there was limited, I decided to do a quicker palette knife painting. The paint is much thicker when I use a knife. It forces me to edit a lot of what I am seeing to just the essential elements.

To purchase this painting and see more of my work log onto www.vanderhoekart.etsy.com

4 comments:

TheresaJ said...

It's beautiful Kim. I really like the texture - more three dimentional, almost like sculpting with pain.

What an interesting name -- bright dot. Perhaps that's how it looks from above.

Rick said...

You're very dedicated to your craft. I wonder how much of that 42 pounds is your art supplies?

Another good painting.

tonypetersart said...

Nice palette knife work, great way to keep things loose!

indiaartist said...

This plein-air is really beautiful and seems like you had a nice time painting it too, even with all time constrains. Thanks for your kind comment at my blog. Also Iwas curious about your etsy experince. Looks like you have a shop there.Pl let me know, regards,