Sunday, November 30, 2008

$3.46 Per Gallon



8 X 10 inch oil painting on linen panel (by Raymar).
S O L D

Do you know how hard it is to paint an object that’s moving? Pretty hard! Luckily, these were nodding up and down so all I had to do was wait until they were in the position I wanted to paint them in and have at it….over and over again. Some of the best painters can just snap a mental picture of a moving object and paint from that. I’m not at that point, yet.

In spite of the challenging subject, I am very pleased with this one.

To purchase this painting and see more of my work log onto www.vanderhoekart.etsy.com

7 comments:

Dewberry Fine Art said...

I really like the composition of elements and the way they walk you in. You really got the feeling of the rust on the mental hammer head. You were able to state the detail of the machinery without over doing it. Nice job.

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

as soon as i saw this one pop up in my reader i said WOW! everything works in this on for me. i love it! great colors, atmosphere, detail. really really nice painting kim!! gas is 1.85 here right now, i can hardly believe it!!

rob ijbema said...

hehe,try drawing your hand that is drawing your hand...
great job on those machines,they look old and worn
i like the composition too

Michelle said...

I'm impressed with your artist talent. I don't think I could paint something standing still let alone moving!

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

We were just talking about painting these wells a few weeks ago and ended up painting a house instead. You did such a good job I'm inspired to try it next time out.

whimsicalpam said...

I love this one Kim! Again turning something not so pleasing to the eyes into something beautiful - Great job!

TheresaJ said...

Wonderful job, Kim! I can imagine how difficult it was to paint.

And the title is really witty and captures a moment in time (I was just told that gas was $1.76 at Costo yesterday).

Thanks for the comment on my little bags. I've been continuing to venture off the beaten track a bit. :)