Saturday, February 21, 2009

Koi



8 X 10 inch oil painting on canvas panel.
$250 (Free shipping in the U.S.)

Because of the rainy days here in California, I’ve been working in the studio a lot more. This was painted from a photo. It was a good lesson in learning when to put down the photo and do what works for the painting itself. In the photograph the reflections were much larger and white. After painting them in I knew it wasn’t working so I scraped them off. It took a several painting sessions for me to work this one out and decide what kind of reflections would work in it. Overall, I’m pleased with this one and look forward to painting more Koi.

9 comments:

Theresa Rankin said...

I love it!!

elsiee said...

what a serenely gorgeous painting - i'm really enjoying following your blog- I'm in Orange, CA...

Marian Fortunati said...

It is really lovely.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Kim, Yes, do paint more koi. What a beautiful painting!

TheresaJ said...

WOW is what I said when this came up after clicking on your blog. I really love it. So different from your other work. Bravo! I'm glad you kept at it.

Stephen Scott said...

I've been taught that painting fish is always a mistake... you've disproved the rule.
Very nicely done!

rob ijbema said...

yes what is happening to the sunshine state,saw all that rain during the cycling tour of california...
not surprised you are pleased with this
very strong the orange and blue work so well

Michelle Burnett said...

Lovely brushwork and color!

r garriott said...

It's so convincing; water surface, water depth, reflection, fish, everything. I love how much you get out of your broad, loose strokes of color. I'm envious! Wish I could pull something like this off.