Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Orange Library Portrait



12 X 9 inch oil painting on canvas panel.
S O L D

This painting was actually a 2-person effort. My friend Dori Dewberry and I went out paint this library because I had a collector that wanted a portrait of this building. My first version was a close-up of the top. Dori painted a much larger and more ambitious amount of the building. After talking with her about mine she said that she didn’t mind if I used her panting as the structure for a new version. Here is our effort, her composition and my colors. Sometimes two heads are better than one, thanks Dori!

Recently, I listed several small paintings on Ebay. They have very low starting bids so if you are interested please CLICK HERE.

Also, I've been interviewed on 5Erg's blog. Maybe this can count as my 7 things from the two recent tags? Anyway, click on the link to read more about me.

To see more of my work log onto www.vanderhoekart.etsy.com

13 comments:

Nancy and the fatties said...

Hi Kim - I'm not a bit surprised this one is sold, it's beautiful. It's got all of us poor Texas folks dreaming of sunshine and palm trees and tropical breezes!
hugs xxxooo

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

This is lovely Kim! I particularly like the light on the palm...well done!!

Mel said...

I know that library! Orange, CA right? I live in Orange too! Didn't know we were neighbors!

Sheila said...

Boy that Dori gets around! Actually I'm trying to get Ed Burton to wear a Dori mask when we go out to plein air next time.

I love this Kim and can see why it sold so quickly!

Ana Tirolese said...

Wow. Very nice.

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Kim this turned out great. You created a grand entry into the painting with the greens all creating a strong foundation for the structure. This building makes a very strong statement as you approach it on Chapman. I believe you have captured it's architectural power in your painting.
Great color Kim:D

Rick said...

Hey Vandie. Thanks for visiting my blog. I always appreciate you comments - coming from an accomplised artist such as yourself. I really liked this piece and it's "SOLD" too!! That ain't bad. You done good girl. Keep it up. I could use a rich, famous, artist friend in my life.

TheresaJ said...

This really turned out great, Kim - a great collaborative effort, which is not always easy to do.

Love the onions and the beach clouds too! You're just a busy little bee! :)

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

i'm seeing a lot of potential in these new architectural paintings, i've not seen you do a lot of them, but you really do them well. love to see more!

luvmygummi said...

Lucky collector!

luvmygummi said...

Lucky collector!

Bear Chick said...

Love this one, but then again, I love anything to do with libraries :-)

When are you going painting on Balboa? Last weekend there were two artists painting and displaying their work along the harborside. Isn't that the coolest place? Halloween & Christmas on the island is not to be missed!

Bear Chick said...

Love this one, but then again, I love anything to do with libraries :-)

When are you going painting on Balboa? Last weekend there were two artists painting and displaying their work along the harborside. Isn't that the coolest place? Halloween & Christmas on the island is not to be missed!