Thursday, March 26, 2009

Paintings In The 2009 Mission Show

After arriving home from visiting family more than a week ago I caught a cold and haven't been able to paint at all. Which is also why I haven't been very diligent about visiting everyone's blog (sorry). Instead I've been resting as much as possible.

Several fellow bloggers asked that I post the paintings that were juried into the show at the San Juan Capistrano Mission since they live out of the area.

The first painting "Double Trouble" (12 X 9 oil on canvas panel) got the highest score out of all three from the judge. I almost didn't enter it but, decided to because it's an unusual subject and also because William Wray (an amazing painter who I look up to) left me a brief positive comment on it when I posted it to my blog.


Next is "Attrition" (9 x 12 oil on canvas panel). This is the other painting that will be hanging in the show. I was very happy with the brushwork and composition in this. Notice the tiny dots on the rocks, that's wind-blown sand embedded into the paint. One of the hazards of plein air.


The last painting was chosen as an alternate for the show. So, if another painting sells this one could be hung in its place. Titled "Irvine Wash, Fall" 16 X12 oil on canvas panel.


I'll also be participating in the art sale that same weekend. Many local artists will be showing and selling their work in the gardens of the Mission. I'd love to meet you if you are able to stop by and see any part of the show!

Opening Reception
Friday, April 3rd, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
The show will run April 3rd – July 14th
San Juan Capistrano Mission Barracks Gallery

Outdoor Art Show and Sale
Saturday, April 4th, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 5th, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Address
31414 El Camino Real
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

32 comments:

Carol Schiff Studio said...

Kim, your work is just stunning. I cannot make a choice of which is my favorite. Love the strong beautiful shapes in Double Trouble, the way you handled the water in your seascape, and the beautiful creek scene. Well done!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks for sharing these. Love the subtlety and the grit of the sand-blasted seascape. Nice!

L.Holm said...

These are beautiful, Kim, and congratulations on the show. I particularly love "Attrition." That beach color, and tone of the rocks is superb! (and the added authentic texture must add something, too! )

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

wish i didn't live on the other side of the country, i would love to attend. how very exciting and wonderful for you. i'm sure paintings will sell and your third one will make an appearance. congrats!!

Sheila said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. What a compliment for Wray to be compelled to comment on Double Trouble. I love his work. I can see why he was drawn to DT. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Nice work Kim! I especially love the seascape with the atmospheric quality...very sensitively done.
Glad you are back to painting, hope to see you tomorrow.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Kim, Wish I lived closer so I could attend your show. All of these paintings are beautiful!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

BRAVO!

elsiee said...

I'm so glad you posted these, they're wonderful, congratulations! You make California look GOOOOOOD!!

Michelle Burnett said...

Hi Kim, I hope you are feeling better! So glad you decided to enter Double Trouble. It has a lot of interest to it and great color. I'm not seeing the sand in Attrition, but that just gives it character and authenticity, right?
I love Irvine Wash too....has a nice serene feeling to it.

Mark said...

Thanks for the compliment. I love the atmosphere in the "Double Trouble" painting. Great Job!

-Mark

Edward Burton said...

BEAUTIFUL paintings, Kim! I especially like Double Trouble because you made something fairly ordinary into something extraordinary and very beautiful - great composition too. I hope you feel better soon.

Edward Burton said...

Hi Kim, I have something for you on my blog.

Vern Schwarz said...

Kim, these are great and congrats on being selected. I especially like Double Trouble...nicely handled.

TheresaJ said...

Nice work Kim! Sounds like it's going to be a fun weekend. I so wish I was close enought to attend!

Karen said...

Hi Kim I hope you're feeling better! These are really a great set for the show. In Double Trouble I especially love how you handled those small lines of the fence...that type of thing always gives me trouble! And in Attrition the color clarity of the sand and rock as contrasted with the rest is fantastic. And, yes, the third is great too. :)

Angela Elledge said...

Hello Kim - I think this is my first time visiting and I'm so glad I'm here. I've just spent some time scrolling through, viewing and reading about your beautiful paintings. I love your use of color; just wonderful. :)

Marian Fortunati said...

Very cool, Kim!!!
Congratulations.. and good luck... hope you get to use the alternate and beyond!!

I've sent you an award. Check out my website for details!!

LSaeta said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well. It is really hard to "be creative" when you are feeling under the weather.
Your paintings are wonderful and congrats on having them selected into the show. I can see why W. Wray left a comment on your painting ... it reminds me of his paintings and it is really great! I hope you sell a lot at the show!

tonypetersart said...

Hi Kim,

I can tell that you manage to paint your personality into your work. Very nicely done!

Dave King said...

I have enjoyed my first visit to your blog. Shall come again.

L.Holm said...

Hi, Kim - I've sent an award your way....pls. visit my site when you've time.... : )

Manon Doyle said...

Beautiful work Kim! Congrats on your show...yay!

susan hong-sammons said...

really beautiful work. hope you're feeling better

Brayton Homestead Interiors said...

Kim, you work is spendid- I love "Double Trouble" so soft but so powerful! good luck with the show!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Kim, congratulations on the show.
I love these paintings. I can't decide on a favorite either. The seascapes are incredible I feel as though I am there. Great work Kim

simoart said...

Hi
Beautiful work. Great seascape,ongratulations. I wish you the best.

r garriott said...

William Wray is right-- Double Trouble is double wonderful!

Gwen Bell said...

Love all 3 of these. Leave it to you to make oil derricks beautiful! The complementry colors are wonderful.

rob ijbema said...

wow.all three are very strong paintings but the top gets my vote too,cos it got lots of atmosphere...
get well soon kim!

Nancy and the fatties said...

I love them all, Kim! Carlos and I will be in Coronado April 17, hopefully we can run up to see the paintings in the gallery while we're in so cal!

Vicki Sergent said...

Kim, I just saw the two hanging paintings at the SOCALPAPA show several hours ago. Those are nice pieces, some of the nicest in the show. I would have stopped to chat as I saw you come in, but I had had enough of crowd--my version of claustrophobia.