Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lily Pond



14 X 11 inch oil painting on canvas panel.
$650 (free shipping in the U.S.)

The study for this painting I completed a year ago with the intention of doing a larger version of it. Family obligations kept me from this project until now. This, along with “Yellow Koi” was juried into the Orange Open Annual Art Show.

Lately, I’ve been trying to paint larger. Most plein air painters (painters who paint on location) don’t paint anything larger than 12 x 16 because the light changes so quickly that it’s difficult getting everything on the canvas in time. My comfort zone is right around the 8 x 10 size. Now however, I’m pushing my studio paintings to larger and larger sizes. It’s liberating having so much room and to be able to leave it on my easel and come back to it later.

To purchase this painting and see more of my work log onto www.KimVanDerHoek.com

6 comments:

elsiee said...

this is beautiful work Kim! I adore larger paintings, the BIGGER the BETTER!

Marie Theron said...

Well done, Kim, I like your decorative style, the other landscapes look good too!

TheresaJ said...

It's gorgeous, Kim. Always good to push yourself, stretch and grow.

Manon Doyle said...

Wow! Beautiful work, Kim!! I love lily ponds!!

SKIZO said...

Thank you for sharing
This fabulous work with us
Good creations

Carol Schiff Studio said...

This is very nice Kim. I love those grasses in the background.