Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Urban Sunset



8 X 6 inch oil painting on linen panel.
$200 (FREE shipping in the U.S.)

My neighbors across the street need a new roof. Half of the roof is shingled in black and the other half is shingled in light gray. Attached to part of the roof is a patio cover that isn't painted and there are all kinds of things hanging off the patio cover (I can't quite make out what they are - maybe bird feeders). Why am I telling you all this? Because I am absolutely obsessed with the view above their rooftop. After it rains here in Southern California we are usually left with beautiful cloud formations. If you live in a place where clouds are a daily event you might think I'm crazy but it is a rare thing to see here. When the sun sets behind my neighbor's house and on those rare evenings after a storm, the sky puts on a dazzling display. Above is a painting inspired by that view.

9 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

That is an amazing view and painting, Kim! i just love it!!

rob ijbema said...

i like the drama kim
you are right paintings can be found anywhere,it doesn't always have to be pretty

LindaHunt said...

Beautiful color in the sky...I like the silhouette of the telephone poles. Very nice!!

Edward Burton said...

Wow, amazing sky, Kim - beautiful!

elsiee said...

the clouds have been crazy amazing lately - you really captured it!!

r garriott said...

Wonderfully dramatic! I can see why you'd be obsessed.

Peter Lee said...

Beautiful painting!
I like the dramatic effect of the sky and dark siluette at the bottom.
Very intriguing!

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful! I can see why you are impressed with such a gorgeous sky! You did a great job capturing it.

Sue Pownall (aka travelingsuep) said...

Lovely painting... I'm now curious to see what your neighbour's roof looks like in daylight.