Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mission Courtyard



6 X 6 inch oil painting on canvas panel.
$150.00 (Sold unframed. Free shipping within the U.S.)

This hidden courtyard behind the Mission in San Juan Capistrano is one of my favorite views, especially when the bougainvillea is blooming. Just beyond the arch is a fountain and the mission bells are overhead. Often when the rest of the mission is crowded, this courtyard is a quiet and overlooked place.

My daughter turned 18 months recently. She’s had so many milestones and this last year and a half has flow by. Now she is talking and getting into everything. An unfortunate side effect is that my painting time has been cut back. I am trying to work out more childcare with friends in exchange for art or painting lessons. If any of my blog friends have helpful suggestions - I’m all ears (or eyes since I’ll be reading your comments).

To see more of my work log onto www.KimVanDerHoek.com

7 comments:

Painting Tips and Tricks said...

This mission courtyard is indeed wonderful! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

Jane Hunt said...

Interesting squares of color here - nice!

martinealison said...

Une belle composition avec une très belle harmonie de couleurs... Bisous

Marian Fortunati said...

And soon she will be 18 years and you won't know how it went by so fast.

Enjoy each and every moment!!!

Mary said...

A lovely composition, Kim, and brings back good memories of our visits to the mission when we lived in Long Beach. This may or may not help, but when our boys were quite young (the younger about your daughter's age), I did some freelance writing. Mostly short pieces, as you might imagine :>). When I was on deadline and absolutely HAD to work in peace and quiet, I put on a particular cap. The cap meant, "If you still have 2 arms and 2 legs, don't talk to me!" It was oddly effective once they got used to it--as long as I didn't keep it on more than 20 - 30 minutes at a time. Then I would check in on them with lots of praise for their cooperation. I commend you for the painting you are able to do at this time.

Denise Rose said...

I love gates and doors and openings like that. I especially love this one! The colors and composition are just wonderful Kim!

DAREL JAVIER said...

Very nice stroke and color. I like your painting style! :)