Monday, June 13, 2011

New Documentary About Being an Artist and Mother

Who Does She Think She Is?

A few days ago I shared this movie trailer on my FaceBook page. There was such a huge response that I thought I'd share it on my blog as well. This documentary follows several artists who are struggling to balance their lives as both mothers and artists. While I haven't seen the film yet, I am anxiously waiting for the movie to be released on DVD because, as you know, it is something I struggle with myself.

One of the questions asked in the video is, "Can you name 5 female artists?" Without using Google I came up with 3, that wasn't including all of my artists friends, of course. I was trying to remember all the women artists named in my art history classes from college. How sad is it that I only remembered 3. Without using Google how many can you name?

3 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Interesting subject for all of us artist/mothers. I would love to be a discussion group for this one. All I can say is that my grown children are the biggest supporters of my art and I love them for it!

martinealison said...

Il est vrai que nous n'étions pas nombreuses nous les femmes artistes autrefois... Comme ça sans vraiment réfléchir je dirais : Suzanne Valadon, Camille Claudel, Niki de Saint-Phalle, Sonia Delaunay... pardon pour toutes les oubliées...
Triste constatation...
Gros bisous

cmv... said...

Sadly, I was only able to name three, yet I had a fourth in my head and could not think of her name. Obviously, not including modern day artists. :[ I cannot wait for this to come out on DVD either. I've had a difficult 5 years watching all my hard work painting and exhibiting slipping away while I attended to being a SAHM with no outside help. My work being treated more as a hobby than a career. It's sad that female artists cannot be offered the same support and successes of men, even today, I see male artists at the top, with the best of today's female artist's displayed more as a side-dressing. :[ I hope to see that change in our lifetime.