Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Past Fixin' - Original oil painting of a farm in Sonoma



8 X 10 inch oil painting on canvas panel.
©2011 by Kim VanDerHoek
$350.00 (Free shipping within the U.S.)

After my painting trip to the Sonoma Plein Air Festival in May, I uploaded all the photos from my camera and began going though them looking for scenes that I wanted to paint. Having only painted 2 farms while I was there whet my appetite for painting more.

This farm is in south Sonoma County off of Old Lakeville Road. Having the broken fence in the center of the painting breaks one of the golden rules of composition but, I felt that in this case, it worked and when it works it's alright to break the rules. I also used the placement of the fence posts to direct your eye to the second focal point, the farm houses. I shifted the houses in the background to the right a little so that they wouldn't be centered above the fence. Having one central element in the painting might work but not two. Notice that the colors I used on the structures are different than anywhere else in the painting, that also helps emphasize that area and draw your eye to it.

If you were actually standing next to that fence in this painting you might hear cows mooing at the farm directly behind you. Shhh, can you hear them?



Demonstrating Artist at the Orange County Fair

This year at the Orange County Fair I will demonstrate my technique for building a successful landscape painting from start to finish. If you would like to watch me paint, the dates are as follows;

July 23, 1:00-3:00

July 30, 1:00-3:00

August 6, 1:00-3:00

August 14, 3:00-6:00

Also, I have 3 paintings at the Fair this year and I've heard that one even has a couple of ribbons hanging on it (I haven't seen them myself a family member let me know about them and as of yet, I have no idea what the awards are for), be sure to look for them in the Fine Arts building.

Location: Orange County Fairgrounds in the Fine Arts Building
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa CA 92626

Three Day Plein Air Painting Workshop in beautiful Laguna Beach, California

Workshop Dates: 9/9/2011 - 9/11/2011
Location: Laguna Beach, California
Cost: $300


This plein air workshop will focus on using a step-by-step process in order to create a successful landscape painting. Topics covered will be; how to create a strong composition, having a focal point, creating depth, brushwork (with an emphasis on how to hold your brush), paint application, time management while painting on location and color mixing. Painting demonstrations by Kim will be included. Class size is limited so that each individual will receive plenty of personal instruction. Each day workshop participants will paint on location and at the end of the day there will be a constructive group critique of our work.

Limit 12 students. To reserve your space visit my web site using the link below.

To see more of my work log onto www.KimVanDerHoek.com

1 comment:

martinealison said...

Une très belle peinture... J'aime la manière dont sont peints les poteaux de la clôture...
Gros bisous.