Wednesday, August 10, 2011

April Shore - Original Oil Painting of Laguna Beach California



9 X 12 inch oil painting on canvas panel.
Ttitled: “April Shore” ©2011 by Kim VanDerHoek
$455.00

Being a mother and an artist is a constant juggling act so, as you can imagine, I’m behind on my new painting posts. I’m also keeping my very best paintings under wraps until next year’s solo show at Copperwood Artware Gallery. If you are a friend of mine on FaceBook you might have seen a few sneak peeks of paintings for the show that I’ve posted there.

This painting I found in a stack of work that needed to be photographed and uploaded in my studio. Painted in April at Laguna Beach, the clouds were threatening rain and the beach was quiet. The light that day was subdued so, in order to create the depth in this view I warmed up the palm tree and cliff on the left quite a bit more than what was actually there. The following hillside cooled off a bit more but isn’t as cool as the last hill. Also, the sand in the foreground is slightly warmer in color than the sand at the base of the last two hills. To paint the water I used the same principals, with the distant water being much cooler and lighter in color than the foreground.

Near the end of the painting I add all the fun details. Putting in the buildings on the hillsides is something I really enjoy. If you look closely, you’ll note that they are just simple strokes of my brush in several different colors that are close in value (how light or dark a color is). Then I added the lifeguard tower, a few strokes on the palm tree and some thick paint in the water.

No matter what the weather is like, painting in Laguna Beach is always inspiring.

To see more of my work log onto www.KimVanDerHoek.com


1 comment:

Kathy Cousart said...

Beautiful painting! I love landscapes and enjoyed reading about your thought process. Gorgeous colors and just right temperatures:)