Sunday, August 28, 2011

Wine Country Mission - Original Oil Painting of the Mission in Sonoma



Titled: Wine Country Mission
Size: 6"x 6" oil on canvas panel
©2011 by Kim VanDerHoek

$50.00 opening bid on DailyPaintWorks.com

When I first visited the Sonoma Mission I was much too young to appreciate it's historic significance. All I knew was that my grandparents took me to see these old dusty buildings with dirt floors. It wasn't until I was much older that I finally realized how difficult life must have been for those who settled the west.

Much of the Mission has been restored in Sonoma. Every time I visit I marvel at how low the windows and doors are and how basic the living quarters were. It makes me appreciate our small house so much more.

REMINDER: 3-Day Plein Air (Outdoor) Oil Painting Workshop in Orange County
DATES: September 9th-11th (Fri., Sat. & Sun.)
HOURS: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
COST: $300


There are still spaces available for my 3-day plein air oil painting workshop in beautiful Laguna Beach, California.

This oil painting workshop for beginning to intermediate level students will focus on using a step-by-step process in order to create a successful landscape painting. Topics covered will be; how to create a strong composition, having a focal point, creating depth, brushwork (with an emphasis on how to hold your brush), paint application, time management while painting on location and color mixing. Painting demonstrations by Kim will be included. Class size is limited so that each individual will receive plenty of personal instruction. Each day workshop participants will paint on location and at the end of the day there will be a constructive group critique of our work. Each day we will meet in Laguna Beach to paint directly from nature. Hours 9:00 - 4:00. Students must bring a field easel and art supplies.

To enroll CLICK HERE!

Please contact me for more information at Kimvander77@aol.com

www.KimVanDerHoek.com

5 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

This is a lovely reminder of time spent with your grandparents Kim, beautiful!

Stephanie Berry said...

Oh Kim wish I could be there. We were just out at Dana Point, etc. Made a trip to San Juan Capestrano--I love those old missions--so beautiful. Love your painting of this Sonoma one. Have fun!

Judy Mackey said...

Beautiful painting - it really caught my eye! I wish I were in California to join you on your plein aire workshop - maybe next time I'll plan for it.

Julie Hill said...

Kim, love those shadows on the missn. Lovely!

J Joy Nocifora said...

You've captured a wonderful atmosphere in this painting! Lovely!