Friday, November 11, 2011

Tawny Bluffs and Emerald Waters - Shell Beach Painting



11 x 14 Oil on linen panel.
Titled: "Tawny Bluffs and Emerald Waters"
S O L D

Here is another painting I completed during the San Luis Obispo Plein Air Festival. I was up before dawn scouting potential painting spots when I found this view. The color shifts in the cliffs, the rocks, reflections in the water and the house all screamed, "paint me!"

The biggest challenge with this view was committing to the light so early on. After 2 hours the sun had climbed high and the light had totally changed. I always tell my students to cover their canvas and get any essentials in, like shadows, quickly that way when the light changes you can still finish.

This was one of those moments when I was having such a good time rocking out on my iPod, enjoying the beautiful day and painting that before I knew it I was finished. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it!

5 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

It is always great to be so lost in your painting and the scene in front of you.... WONDERFUL!!!!

r garriott said...

Gosh it's beautiful! What a fine painting.

Carmel Georgescu said...

Very beautiful!

r garriott said...

Kim-- Big congratulations on being a Artist's magazine finalist! I added you name to my list. Yay for you!

Julie Hill said...

Just lovely, the way you capture the water and tide Kim!