Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gray Sky Over the Back Bay - Original Oil Painting - Landscape Art



"Gray Sky Over the Back Bay"
10" x 8"
Oil on Canvas Panel.
Available through my web site at www.KimVanDerHoek.com

Here is another view of the Back Bay in Newport Beach, California. This scene is looking south toward the opening of the bay near the Pacific Ocean. The bay is a protected wetland area set right next to suburban Newport Beach. It is a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city.

There are a lot of things that I feel came together in this painting. Two of my personal favorites are the composition and the bold brushwork in the foreground. Usually, I find it challenging to paint when it's overcast but when I was working on this one it felt like it practically painted itself and I was just holding onto the brush.

If you are an artist and you are reading this then you know that we are our our toughest critics. I see it a lot in my students. They are working so very hard to improve that they loose sight of what they are doing that is working well. Many become discouraged. One way I've found to combat that is to first find an area in your painting that you are happy with. Every painting has at least one sweet spot. Recognize it, then repeat after me, "I really like this area in my painting because......." You'll find that instead of being discouraged, you'll have a mental list of things you do well. Of course, there will always be something else to improve on but, give yourself credit for the things you are doing right.

2 comments:

Jess said...

beautiful landscape!

Kelley Sanford said...

Love the atmosphere in this piece, Kim. Well done.