Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lounging Around - Original Impressionist Style Oil Painting of a Boat - Boat Painting- Seascape


"Lounging Around"
8" x 10" Oil on canvas panel.
Available through www.KimVanDerHoek.com

Sometimes a painting just comes together almost effortlessly and this was one of those paintings. At first all those gray/blues seemed daunting. To differentiate the blues in the boat from the blues in the water I made the choice to stick with ultramarine blue in all the paint mixtures for the water and only use cobalt blue in my paint mixtures for the boat. The rest was all about value (how light or dark each color is).

The inside of the boat had some additional details that I edited out because I felt that you got the idea of what the boat looked like without the extra visual clutter.

I'm really pleased with this one, especially the areas of canvas that peek through the painting in the lower left. Little things like that make me happy.

2 comments:

Victor Errington said...

Hi Kim.
This is truly an amazing and beautiful painting. You should be pleased with it. I love it, and if I was a collecter, I would purchase it.
All the best kim.
Vic.

Jill Berry said...

Great values and separation of blues! Nice work!