Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lingering Reflections - Original Oil Painting of Boats on the Water - Sailboat Painting

"Lingering Reflections" - 9" x 12" Oil on Panel.
Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2012 By Kim VanDerHoek

This painting started out as a lesson in values for my students in both my plein air class and my Monday night class. I had each group work on small value studies before starting their paintings. This view is all about shades of gray and I felt this would be a good lesson for them because really, everything is gray with a few colors added to the paint mixtures. As a side benefit, color harmony is easy to achieve as a result.

Most of the time when I am teaching I am so busy talking about what I am doing and helping everyone that I truly have no idea how my painting is coming along. Sometimes I get home, look at my painting and cringe because it didn't turn out well. Others, like this one, I felt at the end of class it had come along nicely. Several students and I stayed late to finish our paintings. We were having so much fun it was hard to stop working.

Below is my value study. You can see I simplified everything into basic shapes and that there is very little detail. It took about 15 minutes to complete. I highly recommend this exercise! Most student paintings have value issues and this exercise helps to resolve them.

Value Study for Lingering Reflections - 61/4" x 8" - NFS
©2012 By Kim VanDerHoek

1 comment:

Mary said...

I appreciate your reminder of the importance of the basics in painting, Kim, and balance of values is truly crucial to a good result. If you weren't so far away, I could benefit from your fine teaching. This is a lovely painting--hard to believe it was a class demo.