Sunday, June 30, 2013

Morning Light on a Sycamore - Original Impressionist Style Oil Painting of a Tree and a Path - Nature Painting - 6 x 6 Oil Painting

"Morning Light on a Sycamore" | 6" x 6" | Oil on canvas panel.
Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2013 by Kim VanDerHoek

This was painted on location at Irvine Regional Park in Orange, California. I had a couple of hours to go out and paint while my kids were in school so I took a small 6" x 6" canvas panel along to work on. I think what takes the most time is selecting a painting spot once I arrive at the location. Weather, shade, bugs and people can all affect the spot I choose. Of course, I'm always looking for the best composition too.

In this case I liked how the shadows fell across the path and how the light played on the tree. I was particularly interested in capturing the reflected light on the left side of the tree trunk. It is caused by the sunlight reflecting off of the ground and onto the tree.

What I didn't get to paint but wish I could have, were all the horses and their riders that walked past me on the path. Unfortunately, none of them would stop for a few hours so that I could study them and add them to my canvas. Maybe next time I should bring along carrots and coffee to entice them into posing for me.

No comments: