Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Stone Faced - Original Impressionist Style Oil Painting of Crystal Cove Reef Point Beach - Crystal Cove Beach Painting - California Beach Art

 "Stone Faced" | 12" x 9" | Oil on canvas panel.
Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2013 by Kim VanDerHoek

 Painted on location on a cloudy morning at Crystal Cove Reef Point Beach in California.

A couple of friends and I woke up early to go paint and to try to capture the early morning light. As you can see we didn't have that wonderful dawn light because of the cloud layer. It's pretty common to have clear blue skies everywhere in Southern California except just 1/4 mile inland from the coast.

That's what the weather was like the day I painted this. It was clear at my house but socked in with clouds just along the coast. Nevertheless, it was still a beautiful place to paint and I manged to find a view I liked. The nice thing about having a cloud layer is that it makes the rocks and sand seem much more colorful.

Below my friend Dori Dewberry took a photo of me finding my view by using my trusty viewfinder. I find it really helps me to block out distractions and compose my painting in my mind before I begin putting paint on my canvas. At my feet you can see a large tide pool where sea critters like to hang out.

Crystal Cove is one of my favorite places to paint and I keep returning here again and again to capture it's wealth of subject matter.


©2013 by Dori Dewberry

No comments: