Sunday, December 15, 2013

Surrounded by Color - Original Oil Painting of a Colorful Tree - Winter Tree Painting - Fall Tree Painting

"Surrounded by Color" | 6" x 8" | Oil on canvas panel
(Price includes Priority Mail shipping. CA residents will have sales tax added to their total.)

Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2013 by Kim VanDerHoek

This is a quick sketch I painted while visiting the Irvine Regional Park in Orange, California. Our trees begin turning color a little later in the year than anyone on the east coast is used to. We typically have pretty warm (if not outright hot) weather until the end of October.

It makes shopping for a jacket loads of fun because when they first arrive in the stores it's usually 90 degrees. I've learned to tough it out though and try them on because a month later they will all disappear. Anyway, back to the painting.

The trees and grasses in the park when I painted this were just turning color. Fall was making it's way in and summer was on it's way out. When I saw this tree I really liked the variety of color surrounding it. The ground was so lit up by the sun that the color reflected up onto some of the tree branches too.

I really enjoy capturing moments like this on canvas. They are fleeting and the landscape is always changing. It reminds me that each day is unique and to live it to the fullest (and to try on that jacket I saw in Target before it's gone).

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

REAlly simple and lovely work!

Manon Doyle said...

It's beautiful Kim!!