Sunday, January 26, 2014

Beyond the Lake's Edge - Original Oil Painting of the High Sierra Mountains - Mountain Painting - Forest Painting - Lake Painting


"Beyond the Lake's Edge" | 8" x 10" | Oil on 1/8" thick featherlight canvas panel from RayMar Art
©2013 by Kim VanDerHoek

This is the last painting from my High Sierra trip. This small lake was near our campsite. It was far enough off the trail to be a quiet place without a lot of hikers or fishermen. My husband went off fishing while I worked. Since the lake was small I could watch his progress and even hear him land a couple of trout. 

The most challenging part of painting this area for me is simply getting used to painting a very different subject than what I find at home. The trees are different, the color of the ground is different and everything looks much closer than it actually is, which forces me to add atmosphere and push the background back color-wise. It's was a fun exercise.

No comments: