Monday, January 13, 2014

Rocky Lakefront - Original Oil Painting of the High Sierra Mountains - Mountain Painting - Forest Painting - Checkenfoot Lake Painting

"Rocky Lakefront" | 8" x 10" | Oil on featherlight 1/8" thick canvas panel from RayMar Art
Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2013 by Kim VanDerHoek

Painted along the edge of Chickenfoot Lake in the High Sierra Mountains in California. This was my second painting of the day from a backpacking trip my husband and I took in the summer. The water in this alpine lake was so clear you can see every detail of the bottom. Which made my husband's fishing a bit easier (that's how he keeps busy while I'm painting). I wanted to render the color changes in the water and show suggestions of the rocks beneath the surface, a sight I rarely see living in the city. It was fun arranging the boulders along the water's edge and to create a visual rhythm that leads the eye deeper into the painting. Hopefully, I'll get to return again in the summer.