Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Spire Shadows - Original Oil Painting of the High Sierra Mountains - Mountain Painting - Forest Painting - Checkenfoot Lake Painting

"Spire Shadows" | 10" x 8" | Oil on featherlight canvas panel from RayMar Art
Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2013 by Kim VanDerHoek

I just realized that I hadn't posted any of the paintings I did during a backpacking trip I went on in August 2013 with my husband.

Before having my second child I would always go with my husband on backpacking trips to the Sierra Mountains in California. With two kids though it was difficult working out childcare so that I could go. Since he loves it as much as I love to paint, I stayed home while he hiked through miles of back country on his own. I missed it though. In 2013 we decided to try to go together again and managed to work it out thanks to my mother-in-law who took the kids for us.

I packed the least amount of painting gear I've ever taken including 6 RayMar featherweight painting panels. That meant I could paint 2 painting per day in the mountains which I did.

This view includes Chickenfoot Lake and a spire above it. It was very early morning and I had to work fast to capture the shadows on the mountain. In 30 minutes the shadows were gone and the very dark green trees were all in sunlight. Seeing the light move across the landscape is always something that makes me appreciate how quiet it is in the early morning before the winds pick up and the other hikers are out of their tents.

I'll post more paintings from this trip in future posts.

3 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

LOVELY work, as always!

Carol Hopper said...

Wonderful! I am so glad you got out there and did that hiking….for me too. I haven't hiked in a hundred years so that makes me too old.

Sunny Williams said...

beautiful!