Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Moored Reflections - Oil Painting of Sailboats at Sunrise - Sailboat Painting - Oxford Marina Painting- Living Room Art

”Moored Reflections” | 11" X 14" | Oil painting on canvas panel 
©2014 by Kim VanDerHoek

While visiting the town of Oxford in Maryland, I stopped to paint in the area during an outdoor painting event in that took place in nearby Easton. I got an early start, getting to Oxford before dawn. While scouting for a painting spot I had my camera in hand and snapped a photo of one of the many marinas there with the sun rising behind the sailboats. I ended up painting a different view that morning but luckily, I had a photo of this scene and recently decided to paint it in my studio.

In this painting planning where the reflections would be was just as important as planning where each boat was moored. I paid close attention to their placement, hoping to create an interesting visual rhythm.

1 comment: