Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dinner Time - Art for Sale - Country Art - Wall Art - Art for the Home - Cows in a Painting - Farm Painting - Barn Painting - Family Room Art


"Dinner Time" | 8" x 16" | Oil on canvas panel
Available at www.KimVanDerHoek.com
©2014 by Kim VanDerHoek

I made a rookie mistake when painting this one. What's worse, is I know better too. 

When I pulled up to this spot in Petaluma, California and saw these cows peacefully grazing in the field with the farm buildings in the background I knew instantly I had a potential painting just waiting to happen. The cows were really close to the fence I was next too and for once, they stuck around for a while. 

What mistake did I make you ask? In spite of the close proximity of the cows, I didn't paint them in right away, instead, I painted everything around them first. By the time I started putting the cows in they were much farther away and heading to the barn for the night. The result was a rushed job which I wasn't happy with. 

The cows you see now are not the original ones I had quickly painted in. I ended up taking the painting home, letting it dry and using photographs of cows as reference to paint them in a second time. I much happier with them now. 

My plein air students always ask me what they should paint first when beginning their paintings and I tell them to put down anything that is going to quickly change. Ironically, I should have taken my own advice.


1 comment:

Ruth Andre said...

Love the warm sun colored land with the colorful background trees.