Ribbons of Light - Original Vineyard Painting - Art for Sale - Wine Country Art - Wall Art - Art for the Home - California Vineyard Painting - Sonoma Winery Art

"Ribbons of Light"
16" x 20" | Oil on canvas panel | Sold
Framed prints available CLICK HERE
©2014 by Kim VanDerHoek

Quite often when I'm out painting I'll spot a beautiful view that has the potential to become a strong painting but the light just isn't right. That was the case with this painting that I created during the Sonoma Plein Air Festival in September which is an outdoor painting event held in Sonoma County, the proceeds of which go toward funding arts programs in the public schools there.

When I first found this view it was midday and there were no shadows or highlights since the sun was at its highest. Fortunately, I knew I had several days worth of painting still to go for the event and I vowed to return early one morning when I thought the light might be right. This can be a gamble but in this case it paid off with magnificent dawn light cascading across beautiful vineyards and encircling the oak trees growing in the valleys. The rolling hills of Sonoma Valley, California created a dynamic Z shaped composition which was a little different in reality and I chose to take some liberties and arrange the large hill shapes for the painting's sake.

Dawn is my favorite time of day to paint not just for the breathtaking light but because it's usually very peaceful and I typically have more energy for painting in the morning. What is your favorite time of day to paint?

Comments